Stay Out of the Danger Zone
What is the Danger Zone?
The Danger Zone is the area on all sides of the bus where children are in the most danger of being hit. Children should stay ten (10) feet away from the bus (or as far away as they can) and never go behind the bus. Always make sure you see the driver, and that the driver can see you. Follow the 10 Foot Rule!
10 Foot Rule
Walk 10 feet (kids should take 10 GIANT STEPS) in front of the bus when crossing so the driver can see you over the hood of the bus.
Teach Your Child to Get On and Off the Bus Safely
- Be at the bus stop five (5) minutes before the scheduled time. Never run to or from the bus. When loading, stay away from the danger zone and wait for the driver’s signal. Board the bus in single file.
- When unloading, look before stepping off the bus to be sure no cars are passing on the shoulder or side of the road.
- Look left-right-left when coming to the edge of the bus to make sure traffic is stopped. Continue to watch for traffic when crossing.
- If you need to cross the street to get on the bus, always wait until the bus has come to a complete stop. Look for the stop arm to come out and for the flashing red lights. Watch the driver. When the driver is assured that all traffic has stopped he/she will signal for you to cross the street, but continue to watch for traffic yourself. Always walk, don’t run.
- Hold the handrail as you get on or off the bus. Do not push or shove.
When You Are Outside the Bus, You Must:
- Make sure the driver sees you at all times.
- Walk 10 feet (take 10 GIANT STEPS) in front of the bus when crossing so the driver can see you over the hood of the bus.
- Never go behind the bus. Never crawl under, around, or near a bus.
If You Drop Something Near the Bus:
- Do not stop or bend over to pick it up.
- First, take 10 GIANT STEPS away from the bus and out of the Danger Zone.
- Make sure the driver sees you.
- Ask the driver for help.
- Never stoop or crawl near, around, or under the bus, even if it is stopped. If you have dropped or lost something and it is near the bus, always ask the driver for help.