The Affton Education Foundation, founded in 2005, raises funds designated for teacher grants to support extraordinary efforts in the classroom. Over 20 grants are provided each year by the Foundation to Affton teachers. These grants, in amounts up to $1,000 each, enrich the curriculum with activities and technology. Since 2005, the Foundation has funded a total of 322 grants in the amount of $281,871.20.
For the 2017-2018 school year, the Foundation awarded $23,853.90 for 28 grants which included: flexible classroom seating, tools for innovative teaching and learning, Dancing Classrooms ballroom dancing enrichment program for fifth-graders, reading and writing resources, field trips, reimbursement and cost reduction for Advanced Placement exams, and more.
Affton Early Childhood:
- Kate Pitcher, Preschool Teacher, Easy-Build Bricks
Mesnier Primary School:
- Jennifer Conkwright, Kindergarten, Differentiated Learning Stations
- Natalie Hake, First Grade, Focus Seats
- Julie Livingstone, Kindergarten, Supporting Reading/Writing Workshops
- Tonya Potter, Second Grade, Innovative Classroom – Engaging Students
Gotsch Intermediate School:
- Ellen Birkedal, Eric Bowen, Nikola Skokovic & Jenny Stark, Fifth Grade, Music & PE, Dancing Classrooms
- Rachel Eaton, Fifth Grade, Making A Maker Culture
- Taylor Pierce, Third Grade, St. Louis Zoo Student Outreach
- Laura Pezzani, SAIL, Take Home Electronics Projects
Rogers Middle School:
- Alex Berger, John Peifer & Mary Walter, Sixth Grade, Challenger Learning Center
- Colette Book, Seventh Grade, Affton Reads! Book Club
- Natalie Kilgore, Health, Adventures in Medicines and Science
- Pam Miller & Julie Pace, SSD, Garden of Growth
Affton High School:
- Aaron Bernabo, Science, AP Physics Exam Cost Reduction
- Chris Boley, Math, AP Statistics Exam Relief
- Brian Esselman, Social Studies, AP Capstone – AP Seminar
- Paula Gyllenborg, Modern Language, National French Exam
- Brian Jennings, English, To AP or Not to AP
- Rebecca Koblents, Business, AP Computer Science Test
- Mary Beth Merlo, Gina Stewart & Michelle Williams, SSD, Mentoring Matters
- Tony Muyco, Social Studies, AP Politics Exam Cost Reduction
- Daniel Polokonis, Math, AP Calculus AB & AP Calculus BC Exam Cost Reduction
- Rebecca Sparks, Science, Chemistry is Exciting!
For additional information or to support the Affton Education Foundation, please visit their website at http://www.afftoneducationfoundation.org/.