Affton teachers were surprised last week in their classrooms when members of the Affton Education Foundation awarded winners of their annual Teacher Grants.
The Affton Education Foundation, founded in 2005, raises funds designated for teacher grants to support extraordinary efforts in the classroom. Over 20 grants are provided each year by the Foundation to Affton teachers. These grants, in amounts up to $1,000 each, enrich the curriculum with activities and technology. Since 2005, the Foundation has funded a total of 261 grants in the amount of $227,986.
For the 2015-2016 school year, the Foundation awarded $26,433 for 31 grants which included: 3D technology, science and math resources, field trips, leveled libraries, online curriculum, reimbursement and cost reduction for ACT and Advanced Placement exams, and more.
Affton Early Childhood:
- Ashley Blair, Character Books
- Michelle Pelizzaro, Parents As Teachers, DIAL Screening Kit
- Kate Pitcher, Manipulative Kits
- Jennifer Conkwright, Kindergarten, Customized Storage & Organization for Optimal Learning
- Natalie Gragnani, Kindergarten, Sensory Learning Centers
- Cheryl Ladd, Kindergarten, Technology Through the Eyes of a Kindergartener
- Julie Livingstone, Kindergarten, Supported Shared Reading in Kindergarten Classrooms
- Trudi Sanders, First Grade, Cross-Curriculum Assessment Boards
- Laurie Scheurer, Kindergarten, Shared Storybooks Create Independent Readers!
Gotsch Intermediate School:
- Jacqueline Beyer, Jennifer Molsbee, Barbara Paulick & Jenny Stark, Fifth Grade, Music & PE, Dancing Classrooms
- Nicki Hejlek, Third Grade, 3Doodlers
- Laura Pezzani, SAIL, 3D Technology
- Anna Steffen, Third Grade, My Books Take-Home Book Packs – Scholastic
- Jennifer Wintergalen, Third Grade, Leveled Books for Diverse Readers
Rogers Middle School:
- Ellen Birkedal, Orchestra, St. Louis Symphony Orchestra Field Trip
- Natalie Kilgore, Health, Medical Detectives
- Alison Nixon, Seventh Grade, Kids Discover – Social Studies Resources
Affton High School:
- Chris Boley, Math, AP Statistics Exam Relief
- Brian Esselman, Social Studies, AP US History Tests for AHS Students
- Paula Gyllenborg, Modern Language, National French Exam
- Brian Jennings, English, To AP or Not to AP
- Michelle Kersting, Art, Affton High School Mural
- Tim Knox & Allyson Wall, Science, Biomedical Program & HOSA
- Patrick Kramer, English, Mass Media
- Mary Beth Merlo & Gina Stewart, SSD Teachers, Mentoring Matters
- Daniel Polokonis, Math, AP Calculus AB & AP Calculus BC Exam Cost Reduction
- Judith Rethwisch, Theater, Exemplary Theatre Program
- Jason Stockwell, Science, Vernier Probes for Biology Courses
For additional information or to support the Affton Education Foundation, please visit their website at http://www.afftoneducationfoundation.org/.