Mission: The mission of AHS is to prepare all of our students to become confident and capable citizens through rigorous, customized learning.
Vision: Affton’s continuous journey toward excellence sparks innovative teaching and learning, developing students as responsible citizens prepared for the challenges of the global society. Students grow as highly capable, curious, and confident learners through customized instruction, fueled by technology integration and the passions of the Affton community.
The first high school classes in Affton were offered in 1930, and were housed in the basement of the former McKenzie School, that now serves as the Administrative Offices of the District at 8701 Mackenzie Road. The first section of the original Affton Senior High School building, which was later named W.F. Gaunt High School, was constructed in 1936 at 8520 Mackenzie Road, and 1937 marked the first class to graduate from the new high school.
The current high school building was built in 1955. A classroom and cafeteria addition was added in 1958. Ninth grade students were temporarily moved to McKenzie School in the fall of 1958, back to the Senior High in 1959, and into a new ninth grade center at Gaunt School, after an addition was finished in 1961. The terra cotta cougar and bronze school seal, located in the lobby, were donated by the Classes of 1961 and 1962 ,respectively. An addition was added in 1963, and in 1965 a bond issue was passed to provide the high school with an auditorium, pool, library and additional classrooms. The “pod” area of the high school was added in 1969. Ninth grade students were moved back to the high school after the Gaunt school was closed in 1978.
Prior to the start of the 2002/03 school year, new science labs were added to the science classrooms. In addition, business computer labs, FACS classrooms, Science classrooms and administrative offices were upgraded. This work was made possible by the passing of Proposition A in 2000. A new student commons addition was built on to the existing cafeterias and opened for the 2003-04 school year. The commons was made possible by a generous donation by AFFTON high school alumni Bill (’63) and Nancy (’65) Thompson. A new athletic complex, which included a new football field, bleachers, all-weather track and lights made their debut at the start of the 2003/04 school year.During the second semester of school year 2011/12, a portion of the metals shop was remodeled to accommodate the Finish Strong program.